The 101 on Spider Vein Removal in Fort Lauderdale
A spider vein removal in Fort Lauderdale is incredibly common. In fact, did you know that approximately 40 percent of women in the United States have some type of varicose vein conditions? However, spider veins aren’t just found in women. Men also struggle with them, but the percentage is less. Spider veins are caused a handful of ways. Some have the veins from genetics, hereditary reasons, gender, age, and even weight.
The following factors can cause spider veins:
- Hereditary: If you have a family member with varicose veins, chances are you’re more likely to develop them as well. According to statistics, about half of the individuals with varicose or spider veins received them through other family members.
- Age and Gender: Both age and gender play a significant role in developing spider veins. With age, the valves in the legs can weaken, causing spider veins as a result. Women are three times more likely to obtain spider veins. Therefore, if those odds are mixed together, it’s no wonder nearly half of American women struggle with the issue. Sometimes, spider veins arrive due to hormonal changes, which can happen often with women who are taking supplements, birth control pills, or are going through menopausal changes.
- Pregnancy: Many women do not obtain spider veins until after they become pregnant. The reason being is that the weight of the growing child places pressure on the veins in the legs. The additional weight can bring about spider veins around three months to a year after the baby is born.
- Obesity: America, as we know, suffers from a serious obesity epidemic. With all of the fast foods and chemicals, it’s no wonder it has become such an issue. Unfortunately, with significant weight gain, comes some additional bodily side effects. Extra weight, similar to that of pregnancy, places extra pressure on the legs. Eventually, spider veins can form as a response.
- Career: Some people find it interesting to hear that their careers play a big part in their health. For example, those who sit for long periods of time and often cross their legs are making it more challenging for blood to flow regularly from the heart. The restrictions can eventually cause nerve damage, and even varicose or spider veins. However, standing also can bring about the unwanted veins. Too much stress on consistently working legs can cause them to suffer. It’s best to keep a healthy balance of sitting and standing while at work.
How Does Endovenous Lasering Assist with Spider Vein Removal in Fort Lauderdale?
First, let’s better understand what endovenous lasering is and how it assists with removing spider veins. Endovenous lasering is a procedure that uses heat to reduce unwanted veins. You’ll know a varicose vein when you see one. It’s a bulging vein that often happen to be on thighs or on the calves. The laser used sends thin beams of radiation, using the physical form of light. With these lasers, the varicose or spider vein begins to shrink. It causes scar tissue to build within the vessel, and those then seal off the vein. Instead, blood passes through the other neighboring veins, putting spider veins out of service for good!
When deciding to have a endovenous laser treatment, it’s important to consults with a medical professional. At Silk, we believe that if varicose veins are sore, red, or inflamed, it’s time to seek help. If the skin on top of the vein is bothering you, lasering may be the best option. Fortunately, varicose veins are serious, but they are annoying, and they can be painful.
If a medical professional decides that laser varicose and spider vein surgery is for you, you’ll have a few things to keep in mind pre-surgery:
- You’ll be asked questions about your health history
- May require a physical exam
- Will make sure you’re in good health prior to procedure
- Tell professional if you are taking blood-thinning medications
- Tell professional if you are allergic to any substances, such as dyes or latex
- Be honest about medications you’re taking
- Do not eat or drink eight hours before the procedure
- Medicines are available to allow you to relax
- Have a driver after the procedure
What to Expect During the Procedure?
Fortunately, thee procedures are very easy. Usually, they take less than an hour. You can go home after the treatment, just be sure that you have someone to drive you home. Wear loose-fitting clothes, as they will feel best. Often times, you’ll start your procedure by changing into a hospital gown. You may also be given goggles to wear during treatment, as it protects one’s eyes from damages from the laser.
Because the laser can be painful, you may be given a shot or injection to subside any pain. Medical experts will use a machine called a Doppler ultrasound device to check the vein prior, simply to ensure that everything is okay. This machine will project the vein onto a computer screen for everyone in the room to see.
The medical expert will then make a small incision in the skin, and then, they will insert a catheter that moves into the varicose or spider vein. A laser fiber is placed onto that catheter, and as the healthcare expert moves the catheter throughout the vein, the laser heats the vein. This causes the vein to close.
What are the Risks? What Happens Afterwards?
Like every procedure, there are risks to be aware of, though the experts at Silk are highly qualified. Some of those risks include bruising, bleeding, pain over the lasering location, redness, swelling, nerve damage, blood clots, skin color changes, and even small burns. Bruising in the legs is normal, but it should diminish in about two weeks. When you arrive back to your home, you’ll want to place an ice pack to reduce any swelling. Keep the incision out of water for 48 hours. If you are advised by your medical professional, wear compression stockings, as it helps with swelling. Do not sit or lie for long periods of time. It’s good to keep the leg raised while resting. Take a walk a few times a day, for about 10-20 minutes each. Do this for the next two weeks. There should also be no running for two weeks. Take it easy!
Thanks to medical advancements, the procedures regarding spider veins are quite simple and short. The session lasts for around 15-30 minutes, and the session can be repeated if needed. It is recommended by doctors that the patients wear compression stockings for 2-3 days every week, for 2-3 weeks during the day. If additional sessions are needed, it is recommended that they be spaced out approximately 1-2 weeks apart.
Where to Find an Office Specializing in Spider Vein Removal in Fort Lauderdale
If you’re looking for a place to perform your spider vein removal in Fort Lauderdale, reach out to the experts at Silk Laser & Aesthetics Centre. We’re the most advanced medical laser and aesthetics technology company in South Florida. Alongside our impeccable staff, Dr. Astaphan uses his years of knowledge, practice, and experience to give Florida residents the peace and satisfaction they’re searching for. When you visit Silk Laser & Aesthetics Centre, you can rest at ease knowing that all of your desires will be met with compassion and precision. Don’t go to just anyone when it comes to having your spider veins removed. Instead, trust the professionals and walk away feeling in love with your legs once again. Our team also offers laser skin rejuvenation, laser hair removal, age spot removals, and so much more. We look forward to seeing you for all of your cosmetic and aesthetic needs!